UK Registration

Page contents

Birth certificate

Certify a copy

Child benefit

Child tax credit

Various other


Islington specific

Useful link

Working families advice website

Adult birth certificate     top of page

Additional birth certificates for an adult

You can also apply for birth and marriage certificates from the council where the registration took place

Birth certificate    top of page

Birth certificate/ birth registration

Register no later than 42 days after the birth.  It may be useful to have more than one certificate if you need them to apply for other things.  Register in the council where the baby was born.


the birth notification letter from the hospital or your baby’s red book

photographic identification (such as passport or driving licence) for each parent of the child that will be recorded on the birth certificate.

Baby information to provide:

the date and place of your baby’s birth (if you have twins, triplets etc. then the time of birth for each will also be required)

whether your baby is a boy or girl

the forenames and surname of your baby

You can choose any surname for your baby whether or not you are married but cannot change it later. The only way it can be changed is the process of re-registration.

Mother information to provide:

forenames and surname(s) (including any maiden surnames)

date and place of birth

usual address at the date of baby’s birth

occupation or previous occupation if not currently working

Father/ parent if relevant information to provide:

forenames and surname(s)

date and place of birth

occupation or previous occupation if not currently working

Certify a copy of something    top of page

Post office

Child benefit   top of page


Child benefit


the birth certificate or adoption certificate for each child in this claim

– don’t send photocopies

extra pages you’ve filled in if you want to claim for more than 2 children

if any child in this claim was born outside the UK we also need to see their

passport(s) or their travel documents used to enter the UK

– don’t send photocopies


It can take up to 12 weeks to process a new Child Benefit claim (or longer if you’re new to the UK).

Claim Child Benefit as soon as your child is born or comes to live with you.

Child Benefit can be backdated for up to 3 months – make your claim as soon as possible.

If you don’t have the birth or adoption certificate, you should still send in your claim form – send the certificate later on when you’ve got it.  You don’t need the birth or adoption certificate if you’ve claimed Child Benefit before and are making a new claim for the same child.

Child tax credit   top of page


Child tax credit


It can take up to 2 weeks for the claim form to arrive and up to 5 weeks to process a new claim.


Childcare vouchers





Doctor registration form

European Health Insurance Card- free from NHS


Healthy Start




Maternity allowance


Maternity information from the government


Maternity leave TUC guide


Nappy voucher


Nursery funding


Prescriptions and dentist visits maternity exemption



UK Passport   top of page


UK Passport


2 new photos of your child

the child’s full birth or adoption certificate (the one with parent’s details on it)

proof that your child has British nationality (for example a British registration certificate, parent’s passport details or parent’s birth certificates)

any valid passports from a different country belonging to the child

any court orders (for example, that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)


It should take 3 weeks to get the passport – use the 1 week Fast Track service if you need it urgently.


£49 online and £58.50 to apply with a paper form from the Post Office.


GP says does not sign passports

have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years

be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

They can’t be closely-related to or involved with the person applying, e.g.: related by birth or marriage, be in a relationship with or live at the same address as the person applying


Islington Registration   top of page


Birth certificate/ registration if born in Islington or City of LondonCamden, Hackney, Haringey


Doctor registration form


Nappy voucher

Scans, high quality photographs, or photocopies:

Proof of Identity – e.g Driver’s Licence, Passport or Birth Certificate;

Proof of Address – All recent (in the past month)

Proof of Pregnancy or Birth

Parking vouchers

Apply for your vouchers prior to the birth of your child

If you would like to apply for your free visitor vouchers before the birth of your child, you will need to complete an application form, which will need to be signed, dated and stamped by your midwife.

Children registered in Islington

If your child was born in Islington you will need to complete a voucher application form. The free vouchers will be sent to you within two working days on receipt of your full application. If you do not apply for the vouchers at the time of registering the child you will be required to send a copy of the birth certificate. You have three months from your child’s date of birth to apply for your free vouchers.

Children registered outside of Islington

If your child was born and registered outside of the London Borough of Islington you will need to provide a copy of the birth certificate. If your child was adopted you will need to supply a copy of the adoption certificate.